Badmaash LA’s Spinach Paneer (Saag Paneer)
1⁄4 cup Canola Oil
1 Tbsp. Whole Cumin seed
1 medium Onion, sliced
1 Tbsp. Ginger finely, chopped
2 Tbsp. Garlic finely, chopped
1⁄2 Tbsp. Serrano chili, fine chop
1⁄2 tsp. Turmeric powder
1 tsp. Cumin powder
2 tsp. Coriander powder
1 1⁄2 cups Plum Tomatoes, diced
4 bunches Fresh Spinach, washed, drained, chopped
1 cup Paneer, cubed (Note: Paneer is an Indian pressed cottage cheese available at all Indian grocery stores)
1⁄4 cup Cilantro, chopped
Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- 1) Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan & sizzle cumin seeds to bloom.
- 2) Add onions and cook till golden brown in color.
- 3) Add ginger and garlic, sauté to give out fragrance, when done add
Serrano chili and cook for a minute
- 4) Add in turmeric and temper to cook, now add in cumin & coriander
- 5) Add plum tomatoes and cook on low heat until they start breaking down.
- 6) Add in spinach, mix well and allow it to braise until it is tender.
- 7) Add paneer at this stage and season lightly with salt & pepper. Mix well
and cook covered till the moisture evaporates.
- 8) Mix in cilantro before service & sprinkle some over to garnish.
- Substitute steamed diced potatoes for paneer
- use 1⁄4 cup heavy or whipping cream in the end, bring the mixture to boil
and cook till cream is blended well and green color is retained back
108 West 2nd Street #104
Los Angeles, California 90012
Telephone: (213) 221-7466